Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Progress Tuesday 4th June 2013

Dear all
Another most active Tuesday with a notable test visitor from New South Wales. His Company has manufactured a piece of kit that was put through its paces to satisfy Network Rail that it could meet all the necessary braking tests and the result was successful making the trip halfway across the World worthwhile. My thanks go to John Evans who hosted today's test ending with a very satisfied customer.
Not quite so long distance but worthy of recognition was an intrepid collector of magazines collated by Pat Craft who had travelled from Cornwall today but was delayed by cable theft in Somerset. Pat then took the magazines on the 1420 Wirksworth to Duffield and made a hurried transfer to allow him to return south on the 1502 departure from the "main line" platform. Service indeed!
Allsop Enterprises was on the go all day with the east side of the Class 119 receiving its final gloss and the west side having attention to a couple of patches where the paint had adversely reacted to previously applied filler. The LMSCA were out in force, 10 of them, attending to a range of tasks on the BTO, the brake rigging on the TO and the reception of some amazing timber work to replace the fire damaged south end of the vehicle. The photo attached illustrated the work prepared by Lee Sharpe.
The M1M completed the restoration of the north end toilet in the CK and progressed the long task of bringing their SK back to life. Fred, Iris and Dorothy had a group planting of our beds and tubs at Wirksworth which will result in another riot of colour for the delight of our visitors. The DST prepared Henry Ellison for its next experience day on Friday and accomplished further work on No3 to enable it to return to the operational fleet.
Rob and Ollie made a series of informed decisions, after detective work, that resulted in the sidelined Class 108 returning to life. They detected water in the controller which was changed, a sticking relay that was unstuck and cleaned out the gutters to try and determine where the water was entering the cab. A great effort and a real contribution to our dmu fleet.
Mick Kingsley mowed the embankments around Wirksworth station approach involving a great deal of physical effort given the gradients involved and operated the Komatsu to donate some coal from the "dust dock" to the bunker for Friday's activities. Essex Pete was without PW work and volunteered to paint the railings leading from the station buildings to the top of the "dust dock". A lone track patroller in the shape of Hylton managed to cover Shottle to Duffield and Shottle to Idridgehay with no alarms found.
Lastly, but by no means least, the service was maintained to good effect as the sun tempted out a satisfactory number of passengers including, yet again, some Matlock bound people who found a journey to Wirksworth more acceptable. Supported by the Booking Halls at Wirksworth and Duffield together with the Pullman Buffet Car a good financial result was achieved.